torstai 3. heinäkuuta 2014

The first week

Hello everyone.

It's been a long time! I've been truly occupied this last week. I arrived to Winston-Salem last Saturday. The travelling was exhausting but absolutely worth it. The feeling when I met my fellows for the first time can only be beaten by the feeling I have now that I know them so well. We have become a family. Every second I spend with them is a precious moment I want to cherish.

                                                                  Playing soccer.

We've had interesting classes about three different subjects. Comparative constitutionalism, social entrepreneurship and last but not the least citizenship and conflict. We've had the chance to share our countries histories, laws and among other things the fears and dreams we have regarding them. I've found the classes unbelievably rich and fruitful. I had a faculty lunch yesterday with Dedee Jonshton discussing sustainability and it was great. It's a gift to get to talk to someone truly experienced in the field. We've also had a few debates, which is completely new for me. I was very nervous at the beginning but we ended up winning the debate so I guess it went quite well after all.. The support and understanding these guys offer is just amazing.

The campus is... simply beautiful. There's a Starbucks here, a huge library and also many stores, which I will most certainly dig through once I have a bit of extratime. The jetlag was really bad at first, I felt so tired but now I've gotten used to it, the only thing lacking is sleep. There is too much to do and people to meet and talk with and things to do, I just feel like later on I won't remember the fact how tired and sleep deprived I was but instead I will remember all the fun things we did in the late evenings. Oh and it's so hot in here, I feel like I'm melting all the time. The weather is just crazy, so humid and torching. You should see my hair, day by day it gets closer to becoming a genuine afro.



Yesterday we had the International Dinner, which was attended by many hostfamilies and faculty to whom we cooked traditional dishes from our countries. The food was delicious,  I made a blueberryryepie which is also known as "Mustikkakukko" and everyone loved it. I was so pleased to succeed in representing my country and it's unique food culture.

                                                                   International dinner.


Today we had a humans versus zombies game in the library with kids from another program at Wake Forest university. It was really exciting! We had nerf guns and the entire library as a battlefield. It was crazy, crazy but funny.

This Saturday we'll be heading for Philadelphia and Washington DC, which will be unforgettable! I can't wait to get on the bus and have an agonizingly long and tiring trip which I will absolutely enjoy with a grateful heart.

There is so much love in my heart for the people here and the thought of leaving seems so distant and sad, but I know for a fact that we'll stay a family even after we depart.





Right now is the time to focus on the present and not worry about the future, because the time really does fly.
Live in the moment.

I will try my best to keep you posted!

Kindly yours, A

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti